The Société du Plan Nord
The Société du Plan Nord is the key authority for the deployment of the various components of the Plan Nord. Its mission is to contribute, in collaboration with the representatives of the regions and the aboriginal nations concerned, as well as the private sector, to the integrated and coherent development of the area covered by the Plan Nord, in keeping with the principle of sustainable development and in accordance with the policy directions defined by the Government in relation to the Plan Nord.
Within the scope of its mission, the Société may:
- Coordinate infrastructure projects and, if applicable, engage in infrastructure development and operation, alone or in partnership.
- Assist and support local and aboriginal communities in their community and socio-economic development projects, among others.
- Carry out or contribute to research and development activities as well as activities to acquire knowledge of the area.
- Contribute to setting up mechanisms to allow 50% of the area covered by the Plan Nord to be used, by 2035, for purposes other than industrial purposes, for the protection of the environment and for the preservation of biodiversity.
- Contribute to maximizing the economic spinoffs generated by the development of the natural resources in the area covered by the Plan Nord, in accordance with Québec’s intergovernmental and international trade commitments.
- Establish satellite offices in the Nunavik, Baie-James–Eeyou Istchee, Côte-Nord and Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean areas to ensure ongoing, functional and effective communications with its clients.
- Set up a marketing office whose object is to communicate to local and regional enterprises as well as to all other Québec enterprises the supply and equipment needs of ordering parties operating in the area covered by the Plan Nord.
- Advise the Government on any matter the latter submits to it.
The Société du Plan Nord was established after the Act respecting the Société du Plan Nord was passed by the National Assembly. It began operations on April 1, 2015.
The Fonds du Plan Nord
The Fonds du Plan Nord is a special fund dedicated to financing the activities of the Société du Plan Nord. The Fonds’s income comes mainly from an annual basic contribution reflecting the fiscal benefits generated by natural resource extraction projects and public infrastructure projects implemented in the area covered by the Plan Nord. They also include an annual contribution paid by Hydro-Québec, currently set at $10 million, and income from investments.
The amounts paid into the Fonds are revised annually to take into account any changes in the projects undertaken in the area covered by the Plan Nord and the resulting fiscal benefits. This approach takes into account the economic activity generated north of the 49th parallel and allows the government to adjust the pace of its actions to develop northern Québec to reflect the evolution of projects under way or planned in the area.